KidsCare II – Arizona’s Temporary Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
KidsCare II is a new children’s coverage program available May 1, 2012 through December 31, 2013, for a limited number of eligible children. KidsCare II has the same benefits and premium requirements as KidsCare, but with a lower income limit for eligibility. The income limit for KidsCare II is 175% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL), based on family size. For additional background information on the KidsCare II program, please click on the link below:
Beginning June 25, 2012, all applications will be considered for eligibility in the KidsCare II program. Children no longer need to be on the KidsCare waiting list. All other eligibility requirements for KidsCare II will remain the same as described below.
Who Can Receive KidsCare II Services?
A child may qualify for this program if the child:
- Is aging out of SOBRA in a household with income between 100-175% FPL; or
- Is currently on the KidsCare wait list and has received a notice to apply for KidsCare II; or
- Beginning June 25, 2012, meets KidsCare eligibility requirements as specified below, and is under 175% FPL. (*Note: The child does not need to be on the KidsCare waiting list.)
KidsCare Eligibility Requirements
Beginning June 25, 2012, a child may qualify for KidsCare II if the child:
- Is an Arizona resident
- Is 18 years old or younger
- Is an United States citizen or a qualified immigrant
- Has a Social Security number or applies for one
- To apply for a Social Security number visit the U.S. Social Security Administration
- Make a copy of the form submitted as confirmation of applying for a Social Security Number
- Is under the income limit
- Is not currently covered by other health insurance
- Does not qualify for coverage through a state agency employee
- Is not eligible to receive AHCCCS (Medicaid) coverage
- Is a member of a household that is willing to pay a premium
If the child’s income is too high for AHCCCS Health Insurance, the child may qualify for KidsCare II at a low monthly premium if they are at or below 175% FPL. This chart shows how much money a person can receive each month before taxes (gross monthly income) and other deductions are subtracted.
|Income Limits at 175% of FPL*|
|Family Size||Monthly Family Income||Annual Family Income|
*Income limits change every April 1.
KidsCare II will cost no more than $40 a month for one child or no more than $60 a month no matter how many children are in the household. The application must indicate that the household is willing to pay the premium for coverage. If a child received KidsCare before and money is owed for past premiums, families will be notified with the amount due and ways to pay. Children will not be enrolled in KidsCare II until all past due premiums are paid in full. Per federal law, Native Americans enrolled with a federally recognized tribe and certain Alaskan Natives do not have to pay a premium. To get KidsCare II at no cost, you must give us proof of tribal enrollment.
|KidsCare Premium Amounts|
|Household Size||Monthly Income Less Than or Equal to 150% FPL||Monthly Income Greater Than 150% But Less Than or Equal to 175%|
|1||$0.00 – $1362.00||$1362.01 – $1589.00|
|2||$0.00 – $1839.00||$1839.01 – $2146.00|
|3||$0.00 – $2317.00||$2317.00 – $2703.00|
|4||$0.00 – $2794.00||$2794.00 – $3260.00|
|Each Additional Member||Add $478.00||Add $557.00|
|Monthly Premium Amount||One Child $10.00, More Than One Child $15.00||One Child $40.00, More Than One Child $60.00|
How to Apply for KidsCare II
If your child still needs health insurance AND you’ve received a notice from AHCCCS:
- Complete a new application for KidsCare II within 30 days of receiving the notice, using the Health-e-Arizona online application for public assistance- www.healthearizona.org. Health-e-Arizona can be accessed from any computer. If you need help, call or visit a location on the List of Community Partners.
- Do not use a paper application; a Health-e-Arizona application is required.
- Respond to all mail and requests for information from the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) immediately.
June 25, 2012
- Beginning June 25, 2012, all applications will be considered for eligibility in the KidsCare II program.
- Apply online using the Health-e-Arizona online application, at www.healthearizona.org. Health-e-Arizona can be accessed online from any computer. If you need help, all or visit a location on the List of Community Partners.
- Paper applications will be accepted but processing time may take longer.
Please use the Applicants Menu on the left for information about how to apply, covered services, available health plans, and additional resources. For other questions refer to the links below:
Toll free hotline #: 1-800-377-3536
Operated by a Community Partnership
AHCCCS hosted a public training session to provide information about the KidsCare II program. For details about the meeting, please click on the link below: